Marking a point where the Milwaukee River meets Lake Michigan, this lighthouse isn’t perched on a lonely stretch of coastline or standing watch on a storm-lashed rock.
In fact, it’s quite close to the downtown heart of the city it’s named for. First lit in 1872, the steel lighthouse had keepers until 1926, and was fully automated in 1939.
Although the tower itself isn’t open to visitors, the pier is easily accessible, and the dark red structure stands out against water and sky in an especially photogenic way.
Lighthouse lovers will appreciate the location:
From Milwaukee Pierhead Light one can easily spot both Kenosha North Pier Light and Milwaukee Breakwater Light.